As Told by Ginger: Looking Back

So, it's been months since I posted a new review or countdown list for this blog. In the back of my mind, I felt that this blog needed a proper close, and what better time to do it than on New Year's Eve (at least, in the western hemisphere of the world).

Looking back on what made As Told by Ginger so great, it's hard not to think of at least a good handful of reasons off the top of your head. Its originality, well-developed characters, realistic drama--it all contributes to this highly underrated show that's chock-full of life lessons everyone could have used growing up.

It's a shame that when people talk about their favorite Nickelodeon shows from their childhood, you hear everything from Rugrats to Catdog to the questionable-for-kids Ren and Stimpy. Never have I heard anyone mention As Told by Ginger, which is a shame. True, while Nickelodeon is not known for airing tween animated drama-comedy hybrids (its main focus being on live-action rich teens desperate to rise to fame), it still boggles my mind as to why this show rarely ever comes up in conversation when people discuss 90s/early 2000s Nickelodeon.

Yeah, Ginger, I feel the lack of love for your show, too.
This is also part of the reason why I wanted to do this blog. While, yes, I originally wanted to rip apart a more popular Nickelodeon show back in 2014, I still think doing a review of As Told by Ginger was the better choice. Here, there's an entire website deep in the backroads of the Internet dedicated to this virtually unknown tween dramedy. I just wanted to give Ginger the love it deserves, even though there are quite a number of moments that make my blood boil and bubble like the three witches' cauldron in Macbeth.

Fire burn and cauldron bubble! Hey, Dodie, want a free spa treatment? >=)

And yet, even with As Told by Ginger's flaws, it makes me love the show even more. Now that I think about it, the completely illogical and unrealistic resolution in "Dodie's Big Break" is kind of a lesson in of itself--life is unfair. People get undeserved chances. People suck. Now, this may be an abstract way of looking at the cringe-worthy episodes, but you have to admit--would it be as much fun ripping apart Dodie if she got the karma she so desperately deserved?

I know I joked a lot about how it would have been awesome to see an episode where Ginger and Dodie break off their friendship for good and Dodie gets sent to an asylum (and I still think that would be a great episode idea!) but if you think about it, wouldn't that conflict the entire message of the show? As Told by Ginger is grounded in realism, and in real life, justice is not always served. Perhaps that's why I never cared much for superhero movies. And if that's what Emily Kapnek intended when she wrote the show, then I just might have to give her a standing ovation--it wasn't that it was bad writing--it was truthful writing.

So, perhaps those flaws I meticulously picked out weren't really flaws at all. Of course, no show is flawless--but rather, its flaws were intentional.

So, every time you see Dodie with her big, fat, purple smile, it's most likely done out of intention.


And just like Dodie was struck with the lucky stick repeatedly by the devil himself, Courtney Gripling, unfortunately, got the opposite treatment. As someone as kind and generous as Courtney was, of course she didn't deserve the abuse and robbery of wealth that came with her development, further fueling the overall message of this show that life isn't fair. 

But of course, the show isn't that depressing that all we get is the negative side of what life throws at us. There were times when goodness reigned over grief. In "Fair to Cloudy," Ginger realized that inviting Darren along to her "best friend tradition" of going to the county fair every year was a terrible idea--not because she was breaking tradition, but because he just didn't belong in every aspect of Ginger's life. And instead of the show teaching us that "everyone is equal and deserves to join in everything, yadda yadda yadda..." we're left with the realization that it's okay to keep some things the same.

Just because you have a new boyfriend or girlfriend or puppy or whatever doesn't mean they're automatically entitled to butt into every aspect of your life since you are now associated with them. And it's one of those moments that we realize, "Hey, you know, maybe "justice" isn't needed everywhere." I'm sure you wouldn't want to take all of your friends to every movie, convention, party, or villainous crime spree you go on. Not because you don't love all your friends, but because some things are more suited to a certain group of friends, and a little bit of tradition and stagnancy is perfectly fine and nothing you should feel obligated to change.


And sure, we get the traditional life lessons about growing up, staying true to yourself, and following your passion, but that's not what this show is about. Otherwise, I could understand why this show would be forgettable. But As Told by Ginger brings us another dimension of realism, a dimension that we don't like to admit, even to ourselves sometimes, and it's what makes the show great.

Now, if people would just look past at how "ugly" the character designs are, they just might see that there is definitely something worth watching at least one run through. Luckily, I have readers like you who have kept this blog alive that brought me to this moment in time where I could say this.

But always remember, it could have been worse; the characters could have ended up looking like this:


That's all I have to say to bring this blog to a close. It was truly a pleasure writing this blog from top to bottom. And while I'm officially closing up this blog to new posts, I'll still be around, working on Hey Arnold! Reviewed every week. If this is completely new to you, here's the link to the blog:

http://heyarnoldreviewed.blogspot.com/

So, while this isn't an official goodbye, it's a silent wave goodbye to As Told by Ginger: Reviewed!

Someone once told me the grass was much greener... on the other side.

Comments

  1. This post was, to quote Courtney, "a total and complete surprise!"

    Reading this blog has been one of my favorite pasttimes of 2015. Thank you so much for all the hard work you've done to make this one of the best places for an "As Told by Ginger" fan to visit on the web! You're truly one of the best "ATBG" fans, and one of the best reviewers on the web! :)

    Not to mention, this blog and your writing style are an influence to me. Someday, I'm gonna start my own review site, for the even more overlooked cartoon series based on the comic strip "Baby Blues". It's only 13 episodes.

    Also, thanks for making me start to think of the flaws of this show in a way that would make me calm down with my dislike for Ginger and Dodie's sort-of-friendship. Finally, of course, I automatically agree with you on how overlooked this show is. It's not a crime to hate it, but it's not wrong to respect it, either.

    Thanks, Deebiedoobie! Happy New Year! Stay safe and sober!
    And be sure to visit my website:
    noparkingproductio.wix.com/noparkingberry for my own 2015 sign-off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support, too! I really like your animations on your blog; I'm not very tech savvy so I wouldn't even know how to do something like that.

    It's really great to know my writing style influenced you. Funny thing is, my writing style is inspired by the one from Full House Reviewed. Ha! Definitely do that review--it's a great way to occupy time and build up your platform. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this show as a kid (always felt the design was a "girlified" Wild Thornberrys) and still do. It took me and other kids seriously and inspired me to come up with some complex designs for my characters and appreciate more complex stories and characters. It was a pleasure reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support over the course of this blog!

      Delete
  4. Given recent news, the show might come back in 2017! If that's true, I'll be utterly ecstatic! This show deserved so much more praise/acclaim than it received in the past. Also, I've almost finished reading the reviews, so I just wanted to say thank you for all your effort on this blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just heard the news as well. I'm surprised Nickelodeon would actually consider reviving one of its lesser-known shows. Thanks for supporting the blog!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry to tell you all this, but that announcement was all a hoax.
      More info: http://oldschoollane.blogspot.com/2016/01/old-school-lane-presents-rumored-as.html
      http://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/movies-tv/news/a37143/attention-nickelodeons-as-told-by-ginger-is-officially-coming-back-to-tv/

      Delete

Post a Comment