BONUS POST: Seasons 1 and 2 Recap

"Someone once told me the grass is much greener... on the other side..."

Well guys, we're almost here. We're at the home stretch of this series, and nearing the point of no return. "Far From Home" kicks off the fate of the rest of the series, which definitely has more drama, betrayal, romance, and mature themes. As Told By Ginger has had its share of stupid episodes of course, but it's also had some of the most memorable episodes that'll stick with us until the day we die.

It seems like the advent of season 3 has also brought in a new team of writers, as we're introduced to some pretty heavy stuff. Now, I'm not going to leak any spoilers, but I will say: be prepared for some new surprises!

That's not to say the first two seasons were overall mind-numbing teeny-bopper crap--far from it by a long shot.

We've learned so much about our main cast in these past 40 episodes that we could start a fandom. Actually, this blog is sort of a fandom. We have two regular commentors--shout-outs to Jessica Victoria Carrillo and NoParking Berry for your weekly contributions to the comments section! I'd give you a prize, but I think a nice Internet ego boost would suffice. Sorry, I'm cheap. We New Yorkers are very stingy with our money since everything here is twice the price as everywhere else. ;)

But honestly, I truly appreciate everybody's comments, as they make this blog feel so much more alive.

Now, let's take the rest of this time to talk about the past 40 episodes, and what makes them so... so Ginger. 

You know, one thing that makes this show awesome is its unforgettable minor characters. Remember Maude, the kooky old lady from the nursing home? I feel like Maude grew up in a really strict Christian household, and never truly got to experience life until after her parents died. Perhaps that's why she always seems like she's off her rocker. She also could have been suffering from dementia, but that's too depressing. I like to think of her as a super-late bloomer seeing life for the first time, kind of like when you unleash a dog in a big, green park.



It's terrible that she kicked the bucket on the Foutleys' kitchen table, though. However, Maude would get annoying really fast if she was a regular cast member. That cough and her extreme eccentricities wouldn't fit in with this show too much. She would probably fit in better as a regular on The Fairly OddParents. 

My favorite episode of the series so far is "Losing Nana Bishop." It wasn't a clear win, as there are many episodes that could qualify for the best episode as well. There was just something different about this episode that just stood out among children's shows in general, and that was Hoodsey's subplot of him not really liking his grandmother that much because he just didn't know her, which is why he didn't feel like the right person to speak about her at the funeral. Don't they usually assign those eulogies to adults, like spouses or adult children?

I had an uncle who died a couple of years ago. And I'll admit, I felt bad about it, but I didn't feel devastated like some other family members. I just didn't know him that well. I mean, I saw him once or twice a year for a few hours of the day. I never got to build a relationship with him just like Hoodsey never did with Nana Bishop. Perhaps that's why I wasn't in mourning at his funeral. I don't want to call it apathy, because that's not it. It's just not experiencing a personal loss, and I'm sure a lot of kids feel that way when a distant relative dies.

I still think this scene is funny.

I just love how this episode explores the other side of grief--where some people don't have enough of a connection to a family member to mourn. I'm sure every one of us has--or will--felt this way about someone before. And I also love how this episode tells kids that it's okay that they're not upset--and it's okay. It's normal, and we shouldn't feel bad about not showing the expected amount of emotion. I mean, funerals are sad, but how much worse would it be if you walked into the wake and everyone was bawling with tears? It's nice to have those non-mourning family members to ease the tension and show emotional support.

What I really like about this show is its real world application. Well, this show is the closest one can come to real life in the Nickelodeon world. But Ginger tackled junior high dilemmas in a totally unique way. And most of the time, this was due to unlikely characters bouncing off of each other. The constant strain between Joann and Carl was like music--two insane people on opposite ends of the insane spectrum. I always loved (and hated) the way Joann would try to brainwash Hoodsey into thinking Carl was a bad influence on him, because she really seems to have it out for this kid. I mean she really hates him. 


I wonder if Joann knew a kid like Carl when she was in school...

I must have mentioned this in another post, but it really seems like Joann was based off of someone in real life. I guarantee she was. She's just too specific for someone to just conjure up. Oh, Joann. There's not another character quite like you. I must say, as much as I rag on Joann for being a terrible excuse for a human being and being as uptight and stiff as starch in the FCC's breakfast shake, she is one of my favorite characters. Want to know how to tell who your favorite character of a show is? If you hear they're going to be in an episode, you become excited and predict how they're going to react. Like Prince Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender and Helga from Hey Arnold!, just pick a character, stick them in a plot, and if you can picture step-by-step how they might react and get really excited about it, chances are, they're your favorite character. 

Or maybe that's just me. 

In "Gym Class Confidential," I really loved how both plots explored how much of a pain it is to grow up. Between Macie's unwillingness to watch a lady push a seven-pound fetus out of a bloody hoo-ha to Hoodsey's stomach fat being a hindrance to his self esteem, the episode as a whole really presses down on common insecurities that should be explored in other shows, as well. And, this episode stars Joann in one of the most controversial one liners in the entire series thus far--"Of course [Carl] is comfortable; the boy's a budding exhibitionist!"


Of course, where would we be without the shitty moments of the show? I still deem "Cry Wolf" as the number one worst episode of the series. I don't know--I just got so mad at Ginger. She is supposed to be portrayed as this character who doesn't fall victim to peer pressure and bullies and does the right thing without looking like a nerd, but the fact that she totally kowtows to Miranda's every whim and demand--just so she won't tell a few kids that she has normally-functioning hair follicles--irritated me to the extreme. I mean, I guess Nickelodeon's excuse would be, "Oh, but we want to show that Ginger is still just a preteen, and doesn't always get it right." Yeah, I get it, but Ginger never stands up to Miranda in the end of the episode. She never takes a stand and says, "I don't give two shits what you think about my hairy legs. Go suck on a cactus." 


The entire episode was just poor advice on top of falling victim to peer pressure on top of an ill-conceived message. It's one of those episodes that should have never existed, sort of like the "Arnold Betrays Iggy" episode from Hey Arnold! The writers of that episode actually apologized to Craig Bartlett for creating such a travesty.

This is merely skimming the surface on what a fantastic show this is. Of course, there could be some improvements, but the show stands quite nicely on its own. It's one of those shows that actually makes you think, a show that actually has passion behind it, and isn't filled with gross-out humor and exaggerated cartoonish buffoonery. In other words, it wasn't meant to keep you quiet so you'd stop raising your parents' blood pressures with all your selfish childish demands. This show actually had heart. It had a message. And it still does. 

And season 3 is only going to bring a lot more. So, stay tuned.

Once again: thanks for sticking around, you guys. This blog wouldn't exist without you!


Your Internet best friend,
Deebiedoobie



P.S. --  Tell me in the comments section, everyone: what's your favorite and least favorite As Told By Ginger moments? I'd love to know what rustled your jimmies!

Comments

  1. Thanks for mentioning me again (and Jessica Victoria), Deebiedoobie! I'm so happy I've found your site in November 2014! You're awesome! You don't have to give us a gift; this wonderful blog's existence is already a gift to us "Ginger" fans. It was also great of you to return to work on "As Told by Ginger: Reviewed!", after leaving a huge gap between the "Nurses' Strike" and "Trouble in Gal Pal Land" reviews, for two and a half months.

    Right now, it's hard for me to list my favorite and least favorite moments of the show in this same comment. Once I have them finally gathered, I'll list some of them in a separate comment. Or, maybe I'll mention one of each:

    Favorite moment:
    Ginger reciting the titular poem of "Hello Stranger". It's a bit sad but heartwarming at the same time. Way to go, Ginger! Did I mention before that it's my favorite episode of the show?

    Least favorite moment:
    With the obvious Dodie moments in "Wicked Game" (and any other episode I've ranted on) out of the way, I'd have to say when Joann was talking nasty about Hoodsey's "rotten little playmate" (Carl), and accusing defensive Ginger of being "rude", even though it's JOANN WHO'S BEING RUDE HERSELF!!

    Speaking of Joann, it really surprised me how you find her to be one of your favorite characters, despite previously showing as much hate for her as you did for her daughter. Of course, there's nothing wrong with having characters to love/hate. I must admit, I do love/hate Dodie myself. She really isn't my MOST hated animated character; Sykes from "Oliver & Company" probably is! I can't even look at him...AT ALL! Yeah, I even hate him more than Lois Griffin! So, out of the two female Bishops, who do you love/hate the most?

    I know you have the right to your opinion, Deebiedoobie, but as much as I find "Cry Wolf" to be a crappy episode (though Carl's "Wolf Boy" phase was fun to watch), it didn't offend me enough to label it as the "Arnold Betrays Iggy" of "As Told by Ginger". That honor, in my opinion, goes to "Wicked Game", for reasons that I don't really need to explain again here. "ATBG" creator Emily Kapnek, and everyone else at Klasky Csupo, should have apologized for writing that awful episode! It, AND "Cry Wolf"! AND "Of Lice and Friends"!

    Anyway, I wish you, and your blood pressure, the best of luck on season three, where Dodie and others may piss you off more than before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh thank you for mentioning me and Berry! : D This show was so unique and I just love how there is a lot of stuff to bring up thanks to adulthood!!! You gave me the fix I needed today!
    BTW as Berry said, Dodie will piss you off even more so be careful and have lots of soothing stuff

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment